Kitchen Sink Beef Soup
Last week I made a beef roast in the slow cooker. I saved all the broth and carrots in a pot until I was ready for soup, which was this week. You can add whatever you want to soup, which is what I love about it. This particular version was really yummy to me, though it was a bit peppery for my little soup eater, KK. Experiment with what you like best. Bonus: Refrigerating the broth, at least over night, means all the grease hardens on top. Gross? Yes. But that meant I could easily skim it off and throw it away, outta my soup.
1. Spray the bottom of your slow cooker. Add 1/2 up of uncooked rice.
2. Then add to slow cooker:
– beef broth
– 6 carrots, sliced
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 1 cup of chopped broccoli (I pre-cooked mine to ensure it wasn’t anything but soft, but you probably don’t have to. Also, I chop it super tiny so my kids don’t notice what it is…)
– 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
– spices to taste: onion salt, black pepper, garlic powder, 1-2 bay leaves
3. Allow to cook 4-6 hours or until rice is cooked thoroughly.
*unrelated note: I have never been able to spell the word “thorough.” It’s not even hard, right? I missed it on *2* spelling tests in fifth grade and to this day, it causes the red squiggles when I type it.
4. Mangia! (especially good with a toasted leftover hamburger bun on the side!)