This is traditional recipe that I’ve adapted slightly for ease and taste. Put that blue box of mac n cheese back in the pantry; your kids will like this!
* 1 pound pasta such as spaghetti, angel hair, or linguine
- (I always use angel hair; it’s just my favorite)
* 1/3 pound pancetta or bacon, chopped
- I have used both. Pancetta is better, but they’re both great.
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 1/3 cup dry white wine (such as chardonnay)
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (Italian style if available)
* 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup romano cheese (freshly grated is available)
1. Start the water for your pasta. Cook according to box directions.
2. Meanwhile, brown pancetta or bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, 5-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels, reserve pan drippings.
3. In the same skillet add the onion and crushed red pepper. Cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add white wine. Cook 2 minutes. Add stewed tomatoes and black pepper. Cook 15 minutes.
5. Return pancetta to pan, toss in drained pasta.
6. Add cheese, toss pasta once more. Serve & enjoy!